Friday, December 30, 2011

New Year, New Thoughts Kind of..........

Last night by daughter, Amanda (17), and I stayed up late together watching Snow Bird and the Secret Fan and then we talked and talked about friendship, family and LIFE.  She asked me questions about my childhood, my marriage, experiences, basically my life until now.  I had an oppurtunity to share stories I had not thought of in years.    I was able to share the stories of how I had all 4 of my beautiful children and to tell the stories of my brothers and how they're so important to me.  I shared stories of my parents' young escapades and told what my grandmas were like.  I was reminded that my husband has been so incredibly supportive to me throughout so many rough patches, and despite the ups and downs of any 20+  year marriage, I am so lucky to have him on my "team!"  As I spoke I realized I truly am a product of all those things I had experienced- bad or good.

After our chat, some laughs, and some tears, I came to an amazing conclusion.  If I were to die right now, today, I know I have already made my mark on this planet.  As a teacher, mom, aunt, sister, daughter, I know for a fact I have made a positive impact on lives that will continue to reach into future generations.  Yes, I am sure, there are people that don't think I am all that, and that is OK because I am just a regular person.  It is only by touching lives, sharing love, finding our calling to serve humanity that we are able to contribute any lasting effect on this ever-changing planet.  While we can discuss our religious beliefs and debate everlasting life that is not what I am thinking of as I write.  So many times people want to "find themselves" and want to find "purpose" but I have already done that and I am only 40!  I think that's pretty amazing.  Now, that does NOT mean I want to die anytime soon and it does NOT mean I am "done" but it was very comforting and liberating to think that from here on out it's just "icing" on life's cake!  I pray and hope I can continue to grow and learn and be the best at anything I try.  But most of all, I am eternally thankful for every experience and person that has helped make me who I am right at this moment and I can't wait to see what's next.

No comments: